Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I lost the bet...

Well, good thing I didn't put any money down on the bet whether or not Amanda would progress from Dr. appointment last week. In case I didn't call you already, she (we) had the baby!

Cliffnotes version:
She was feeling crampy yesterday and last night, but didn't realize that contractions felt just like cramps. So this morning I go off to work and she gets out of bed and there is a gush. Oh yea, her water broke alright. So after a series of phone calls to the dr, me and the dr again I end up coming home from work and driving us to the dr's office. The dr confirmed that it was amniotic fluid and told us to go to the hospital. So we get to the hospital by 11am.

The contractions started getting hot and heavy and they gave her some drugs. A bit later she got an epidural, then about 4pm the nurse checked on her and whoa, the baby is right there and you need to push.

Wait a sec, that's it? We've only been here for 5 hours! I thought this would take days! I'm not ready for this yet!

So after 3 or 4 sets of good pushing a healthy baby boy popped out, 7 lbs 8oz and 19 inches. We named him Alexander Robert, for short we will call him Xander. I liked just Xander, but Amanda vetoed that because later in life he might want to be called something else and Alexander is a Saint's name as well. The middle name is from my maternal grandfather.

Xander.

So I'm stopping at home now to make sure the cats are fed and headed back to the hospital to sleep on the pullout couch.

I'll try and put up some pictures tomorrow.

2 comments:

Rob said...

Congrats! I thought maybe the middle name was after Mr. Jordan ;)

Dandysue said...

I'm so excited to meet Xander! What a cool name, I'm sure he'll love it.

I wonder who he looks like, does he have hair? What color? Hope Amanda is feeling okay, Can't wait to see the pictures! BTW that monthly flower thing you do Chris is so awesome!

Take care!

Mandy