Saturday, September 29, 2007

Diaper Dilemma

One of my bright ideas is that I'd like to use cloth diapers on Xander. Oh, by no means am I under the delusion that I won't ever touch disposables again. However financially and environmentally I would feel better by using cloth diapers at least around the house.

Cloth diapers have come a long way since I was a baby, not that I remember. I do remember my Mom rinsing out the big white rectangles for my youngest brother. I've been looking on the internet and here is what I'm thinking of getting.

There are lots of brands out there, but I'm hearing (well, reading) good things about bumGenius. This one is one-size-fits-all, so they should last a while. They are referred to as pocket diapers because there is an opening for an insert to help absorb.

It feels kind of pricey up front to get a 12 pack of the diapers, but it will save money in the long run. I'm just nervous to order them and there will be some huge glaring error in my plan. Like the diapers turn out to be poorly made and leak a lot (the reviews are really good for these though).

Oh, and they come in different colors!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I can't believe I just wrote a diaper post.

2 comments:

Julie said...

A few friends of mine swore by their BumGenius diapers and are using them again for kid #2. I personally didn't feel like committing that much and went a cheaper route, but in retrospect I would have been better off investing in something that was actually pretty easy to use rather than going a cheap but inconvenient route. They definitely pay for themselves if you commit to using them on a semi-regular basis. The thing to remember is that you'll have to wash them (of course) and so if you only use them now and then it'll take awhile to make a worthwhile medium sized load at which point they'll be extra stinky. If you do them almost exclusively you'll wash about 2x more often on a large load (so really only 2x the "work" but it's not bad.) and they'll go through so fast they won't have time to get really nasty.

Julie said...

And if you buy from someplace like cottonbabies.com you can usually return them in good condition for a reasonable value so if you hate them it's not a huge risk. FYI.