Monday, January 12, 2009

play area

In an effort to try and be able to do the things we want to do (exercise - me, sew and exercise - Amanda) with Xander entertained we created a little play area for him in the basement. Sarah B came over during the summer and painted a nice mural and Santa (Aunt Trisha) bought Xander some foam mats to cushion the floor. We even got a free slide and a table for a dollar to go down there to keep him entertained.

However, the area only had 3 sides. And, if you didn't know it, 16 month olds don't stay in one area. They need to be fenced in. We tried using the pack n play create a little wall, but that didn't work. So I decieded to make a half wall.



Ta da! So, why can you see the studs below the fiberboard? Well, the fiberboard comes in 2'x4' sheets, but I thought if it was only 2' tall that Xander would manage to pull some toy over and use it to step over the wall....which is exaclty what he does to get onto the couch. So I just made the studs a little longer. The fiberboard worked well and doesn't have any sharp edges or anything to poke little fingers.

Then after Sergey and I finish the wall he points out that he could probably crawl under it....slight oversight on my part, but I don't think he can or will. Ignore it and it won't happen, right?

Meanwhile, Preggers is off at a baby shower and I hope to surprise her with my carpentry skills when she comes home. She goes downstairs to look at it and comes back up and says "There's no gate."

"What do you mean gate? There is no gate."

"Well in your plans I though I saw a gate drawn on there."

"Whaddaya talkin about?! You don't need a gate, you just step over it" I tell her.

We then move the conversation downstairs so I can demonstrate the ease of stepping over.

"See, no big deal."

"Yea, well what am I going to do when my belly is out to here?" she exclaims with her hands holding an imaginary basketball in front of her uterus.

I then demonstrate again with my hands holding an imaginary basketball in front of my non existant uterus and say "See, it's....uhm. You don't need to step over." And by this time Pregnant Tears was ready to show up and made their (unnecessary) appearance, so the decision was made to make another trip to home depot and buy plywood to reinforce the wall and acquire gate hardware.

Of course, Xander could care less, he just wants to run wild.


The gate and wall did turn out nice. Thanks for your help Sergey!

No comments: