Thursday, July 19, 2007

Visiting the Doctor

Chris and I went for another doctor's visit today. We've been going every four weeks, but I'm far enough along now that we'll be going every two.

Today I had the glucose test to see if I had developed gestational diabetes. I got up and had breakfast right away (the directions said I was allowed to eat before) and before we left I chugged a drink the doctor gave me during my last visit. It was like flat orange soda, just slightly thicker. I think it helped that it had been refrigerated but it did make me feel a little sick and light headed while waiting at the office.

So at the office I had the usual urine sample and weigh in, then the nurse stabbed my finger to get a blood sample. Ok, so it was only a pin prick but I bleed enough that I had to change the band aid. They used a small device like diabetics use to measure the sugar in my blood and I came in well under the mark (I was at 116, the highest you can get before they freak out and make you take a long starvation test is 140).

So all of those years of Mountain Dew have not scarred me for life.

My blood pressure is good (90/60) and the baby's heart rate is good (150). The only hard part was waiting in that tiny room for the doctor for another 30 minutes just to spend 5 minutes with him to say there were no concerns. I would have told Chris he could leave to go to work, but he was enthralled with an article about how to talk back to kids and then demonstrating how to do a breast exam. Apparently it involves a lot of hip thrusts.

1 comment:

chicks514 said...

I think my breast exam methodology should be adopted by all.