Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Castles on the Rug

It all began with a gift for Christmas 2010.


Nothing fancy was built in the beginning. Sadly, those bright blocks were left in Ohio.


So an investment was made into plain wooden blocks. And soon Xander would begin running up to me to ask "Mom, do you like my castle?"

"Why, yes, I do like your castle."


"Why, yes, that is a nicely balanced castle."


"Why, yes, I like how a little man lives in that castle."


"Yes, nice castle. Did Buzz help you build it?"


"That's a pretty awesome castle, Xander. How on earth did you do that?"


"Wow, that is an amazingly precise castle!"


"Xander, do you want to take architectural designs next year in preschool?"


Then, just to mix it up, Xander started building more with his Mega Blocks. He's had them forever and plays with them all the time but only recently started building castles with them.



Now the best part of building a castle is knocking it down, in case you didn't already know that. Usually Xander will knock down his own creation. Sometimes Josie will get in there and destroy it, causing hysteria. Occasionally Xander will run up and ask "Mom, do you want to knock down my castle?!?" Somedays Superboy or a ball will knock down the castles. Here's an example of a truck doing the deed.



Xander loves to ask for me to help build his castles but I never seem to do it right. "No, Mom, that doesn't go there!" And I'm afraid I'll stifle his creative spirit because I would never think to build some of those castles.

No comments: