Monday, October 18, 2010

Sweet Dreams

Somewhere around the beginning of summer, Xander woke up a couple of times in the middle of the night crying and very upset about something. He couldn't quite articulate it but I had the impression that he'd had some nightmares.

In order to prevent this, I would talk to him for a minute before bed about what dreams he might have. I did not go into long explanations about the definition of a dream or explain that bad things weren't real. I just told him to close his eyes and think about one thing or another. Like the sun and clouds. I'm still not sure if he understands, but every morning I ask him what he dreamed about.

Most of the summer his answer was snow.

All of August his answer was California.

Since his birthday, his answer is Chuck E. Cheese's.

No comments: