Saturday, June 27, 2009

The birth story

We're home now with the newest member of the family. Here's the fun (and somewhat gory) details.

Thursday was like any other day, everyone up and Chris headed off to work. I decided to try a walk before the day became too hot, so Xander and I trotted (and by trot I mean that I waddled and Xander enjoyed a ride in the stroller) down the street and back. It was already way too hot.

We hung out most of the day, but I became increasingly irritable with Xander's knack for getting into everything. I noticed some contractions late in the morning, but didn't think much of it since I've had that on and off for a while.

I talked to Dandysue for a while. I talked to my brother's fiance too (she later told me she thought I'd have the baby within 24 hours but didn't want to say anything and jinx it).

Sometime in the afternoon I noticed that the contractions were somewhat regular, like 15 minutes apart. But I know there is false labor and my directions said to wait until contractions were 5 minutes apart and lasted a minute. But at 4:30 I was incredibly cranky and actually having to breath through some of the contractions. I called Chris at work and politely asked that he come home at 5 (he's been working late to get ahead at work in anticipation of the birth).

Chris gets home and makes dinner for himself and Xander. It was burritos and it made me incredibly nauseous. So instead of eating, I just walked laps around the house. The contractions were definitely closer together so I began measuring them - 5 minutes apart but only lasting 30 seconds. And they definitely hurt more. I would stop and breath and Chris would get all excited and cheer. I told him that I knew he was excited about the baby, but it felt like he was happy about me being in pain.

At 6:20 or so I gave in and said lets just go. We handed off Xander to one neighbor and made arrangements for him to spend the night with another neighbor. I finished packing my bag and we were off speeding down the highway. And when I started timing it, my contractions were suddenly 3 minutes apart. And then I became all panicky that I had waited too long and wouldn't be able to get an epidural.

During the ride, Chris asked what we were going to name the baby. I simply said "Amanda" and he busted up laughing.

We arrived at the hospital by 7 and went to get admitted. Everything seemed to take forever to us, but I know that procedures had to be followed, blah, blah, blah. It didn't help that the contractions made me feel like I had to go to the bathroom. And so I ran off to the bathroom a couple of times and delayed the whole process. Finally, a nurse checked me and I was definitely having regular contractions and I was already dilated 6 cm and fully effaced. So I at least felt better that I wasn't going to be sent home.

We were sent to a labor and delivery room and it felt like more hurry up and wait. They took blood to make sure I was ok for the epidural. Meanwhile my contractions were getting pretty nasty. Chris called and texted a few people to let them know what was going on. One brother texted back with a friendly "remember to push." My reply was that I was going to "push him in the face."

Another highlight included when the nurse left the room and I just shouted "Owowowowowow!" through a contraction. Chris, meaning to be soothing, leans over and says "shhh, shhh." When it was over I told him (in a rather nasty tone) not to shush me. I think that might be when Chris called the nurse to check on the epidural.

Chris could not stop grinning this entire process. I told him that he needed to stop hovering over me and grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

Here's where it gets a little gross. I had to vomit after a contraction (bless Chris for being there for me) and then my water broke. I came extremely close to crying and just felt humiliated. You know, emotional roller coaster of birth. I know the nurses go through this all of the time and my nurse was really great, but it was still embarassing.

Then, finally, the anestesiologist arrives to give me the epidural. It's about 8 pm, so it's not like a lot of time has passed but it feels like forever. As it kicks in and I can relax a little, the nurse checks and I am at 8 cm. To pass the time, Chris proves he is awesome and reads Finger Lickin' Fifteen to me (I bought it when it came out earlier in the week and had packed it in my hospital bag).

At 9 pm the nurse declares me ready to go, but they have to call the doctor in. Well, a big storm was just flying through and caused problems so the doctor didn't arrive until 9:30. He dressed and was ready and within five minutes and less than two contractions we had a daughter.

Josephine Alice
June 25, 2009 9:43 pm
8 lbs, 10 oz
19 3/4 inches

When Josie arrived the doctor and nurse said she was a big girl, which was a surprise to me. I did tear a little, but that is not a surprise since it went so quickly. I mean, we were at the hospital for less than 3 hours! I expected to have been up all night, so it was a pleasant surprise. Also, the doctor and nurse kept complimenting me pushing skills. I found it amusing, but it was nice to get the compliment.

We were all cleaned up and moved to another room and were able to relax and hang out and get (a little) sleep.

No comments: