Sunday, July 20, 2008

Camping Trip

We just returned from our first camping trip as a family of 3. When we told people we were going camping they then immediately asked what we were doing with Xander. Well, taking him with us, of course. We learned that camping for the first time with a baby is just like anything else with a baby for the first time, rough. But then, you figure some things out, make some adjustments and it gets much easier.

One thing that I don't fully appreciate is the convenience of just letting him loose in our house. That just doesn't work at a campsite. Don't put that in your mouth, don't put that in your mouth, don't put that in your mouth was repeated endlessly when he wasn't in the pack in play or in the baby bookbag.

I also would like to apologize to the folks that we woke up at 4:40am this morning with our screaming baby. Our poor kid has been cutting teeth since April and hasn't slept through the night since then. Now he decided to start cutting a molar and it looks red and swollen and painful. So at 4:40am when he woke up screaming, Amanda soothed him and said "I have to pee!". Okay, I do too, let's make it a family event and walk up to the bathrooms. Amanda's carrying him and all is well, then I say, hey, I'll carry him because I know he's heavy. So she hands him off to me and Xander promptly says "Dad, get your hands off me give me back to Mom RIGHT NOW. NO, RIGHT NOW. I'm serious, Mom, NOW." Which translates to "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH". All this as we walk by snoring campers. Who, of course, stop snoring and wake up. I really am sorry.

So what did we do on our fun camping trip? Well, we went swimming, biking and hiking. Xander didn't take to biking too well. We went with another couple whose daughter is a day younger than Xander and they have a bike trailer. Well, we put the babies in there and the screaming starting. I think they didn't like it because the seat support wasn't too great and they were leaning against one another and they weren't happy.

Of course Xander liked hiking, because that means he's in the baby backpack and gets carried around all day long. Whatever the activity, if he's in the backpack he's a happy camper.

We have a ton of pictures, but here are a few...

No comments: