Friday, September 24, 2010

3 Year and 15 Month Progress Reports

Before we left the good ole midwest, I took both kids in for a well check with the doctor. I had originally scheduled Xander's 3 year and Josie's 15 month at the end of September. However, since it would require an entire day of air travel to make the appointment, I rescheduled.

----

Xander is suddenly huge. Everyone has always said he looks big but the measurements were always in the 50th percentile or so. I chalked it up to broad shoulders. It didn't help that for the past month I made him wear clothes that were just a bit too small for him. I had sent most of the 3T clothes to California and figured the 2T would be fine until we left, then I just left the 2T there. It was a good plan, Xander just looked a little uncomfortable. Anyway, his latest stats are:

Weight: 39 lbs - which is just off of the percentile chart
Height: 3 ft 3.5 in - 90th percentile
Weight vs Height - 90th percentile

He doesn't look too tall or too chubby, he's just a big kid. In fact, you know those 3T clothes that were waiting for him here? Yeah, they just fit him. Luckily, most of those were donated from friends so it's not like I spent a lot of money on his wardrobe that he'll outgrow in a few more hours.

Xander has come a long way in many ways the past year. He knows the alphabet, both saying letters and recognizing upper and lower case letters. He can count really well, how high depends on the day but he made it, with a few errors, to forty the other day. He is at the stage where he remembers and repeats the most obscure and embarrassing things. He especially gets commercials like "Meijer, lower prices" (which there are no Meijer here, so that one is falling to the wayside) or like today he said he wanted to drink V8 (we have V8 Fusion) then he proceeded to walk around saying "V8, what's your number?" And of course when he's getting grumpy he might grump "I'm tired of this" and then stalk off. Not that I do that. Well, I don't do the stalking, you can't stalk away from a toddler.

The potty training keeps getting almost done and then having a set back. The current set back is that the kid's room at the gym doesn't have a bathroom, so I'm not comfortable leaving him there in underwear. He also takes naps in our bed and I don't want any accidents there, so there is another time for pull-ups. Xander knows he can do his business in pull-ups and I think he forgets what he is wearing because there have been more accidents lately. One thing that has worked out is that he is very regular. If we tell him it's time to go to bed, he'll need to go to the bathroom. Hey, whatever works.


------

Josie had her 15 month check up, which still strikes me as an oddball time for a check up. She is little. Not so little that she's off of the chart, but little enough that the winter clothing I've stocked up on might be too big. Of course, the appointment was half of a month early. Hmm.

Weight: 21 lbs 13 oz - 30th percentile
Height: 29 in - 25th percentile
Head: 17 in

She is now spending most of her time walking. That has caused a little problem with all of the cold, hardwood floors in the morning. The socks had some grippers on them so she didn't fall but I bought her slippers. Of course she slipped and fell in those right away. The poor thing keeps bonking her noggin lately, the bruises are all turning a nice purple-to-brown color right now.

Josie is talking lots but we still aren't getting what she is trying to tell us. I've figured out "mas-sh" is more. She makes the appropriate noises for "Thank you" and other little prhrases.

What is cute is that she is trying so hard to be like Xander. She wants to do his puzzles, instead of the nice, easy wood puzzles. She wants to wear a backpack, so she uses Xander's when he is not or she gets Chris's old college bookbag and drags it around. She wants to play in the potty. Not that Xander plays in the potty, but she knows he uses it and obviously the water is for splashing. She is starting to 'read' more books on her own.

What is not so cute is that Josie is becoming much more Mom-centric. She has to know where I am, see me and has to be held most of the time. Especially if I am trying to do a chore such as make dinner, pay bills or even look at the computer. I think part of it is the anxiety of all of the changes that have gone on. I also think it is partly that I am around almost all of the time since I am not teaching, so she expects me to be here.



The really good news is that the kids are doing a great job of sharing a room and we have a nice routine going on. At night time, they get ready and we read two books. Josie goes to bed and Xander takes care of any bathroom trips he needs. At naptime, Josie goes down after lunch and within 15 minutes Xander is in our bed so they don't wake each other up. I lust wish they could sleep im a little in the morning, but the house is too small and any little noise is enough to wake them up.

No comments: