Thursday, November 1, 2007

Xander's first Halloween


Halloween was interesting. We got Xander dressed up in his pumpkin outfit for the 5th time in the past 2 weeks, (which makes sense because he's not going to be able to wear it after this ever again) invited Sergey and Ikkin over and passed out some candy. I thought it would be interesting to quiz the kids some simple questions before I gave them candy, what's the capital of the US, what's the capital of Ohio, what's 2*5, what's 10+10, simple stuff for elementary school kids.

Or so I thought. It was a good idea until I got one kid who didn't get her first question right, but her companion did, then her companion got a few more right (and more candy) and then I went back to the girl again and asked her something easy and she replied "I'm not that stupid, you know."

Whoa! Time to stop this little game that I think is cute. So that was a bad idea and I stopped. Let's just stick with questions about their costumes before I get an angry parent beating me up.

Also, am I a bad candy-giver if I only give 1 piece of candy per kid? Am I cheap and stingy or frugal? One kid walked back down the drive and said something to his mother and she said to him "well, it's better than nothing." It's not like we were giving out the teeny tiny tootsie rolls or the 5 packs of Necco wafers, we had the giant tootsie rolls and fun packs of m&m's.

Oh, and the best costumes where the Darth Vaders' (but no mask) and the tornado. Who knows where this kid got this idea, but he showed up dressed as a tornado. He had a cloth he wore over himself that had strips cut in it and cars and houses sewed to the strips. Very original. We gave him extra candy for a cool costume.

No comments: