Thursday, October 25, 2007

Baby Time at the Library

In an effort for me to get out and possibly meet other moms with babies, Xander and I ventured to Baby Time at our local library. I know, I know, Xander can't read and can't understand what is being read to him. But by golly, the advertisement says "Birth through 2 years." So I fed him, strapped him in his baby bucket and off we went.

Imagine my surprise that all the babies were one year or older. Ok, it wasn't that big of a surprise but I was really hoping. I felt a little silly sitting there with a sleeping infant while everyone else sang songs and listened to Halloween books being read. Actually only like three kids paid attention to the books, the rest were EVERYWHERE, including trying to climb into Xander's baby carrier. I actually had the teacherly urge to tell them to sit down and be quiet. Three times I had to fight that urge.

But the library lady was really nice and made suggestions on books and even came to talk to me afterward. I'm not sure I'll be a regular attendee but it did accomplish my goal of getting out of the house.

On a side note I figured out one thing that Xander HATES. Yesterday he screamed for the entire car ride, which I couldn't understand because he always goes to sleep on car rides or at least quiets down. I'm talking red-faced, panting, sweating screaming here. Today the same thing started and I reached back and pulled off his hat. He instantly stopped and floated off to baby dreamland. I don't think the problem is the hat so much as it is how the hat falls over his eyes when he moves his head. So the car rides this winter should be fun.

1 comment:

Julie said...

oooh, that stinks that you were the newbie baby girl. I did that at a pool lesson when Katie was about 7 months. All the other kids were about 2. I felt like I brought a cat to a big dog party.

I hope you can find a real cat party soon.