Sunday, February 17, 2013

Easing into One

Hannah turned 1 last week! It's amazing how much she has grown and changed in the year since she has joined us. You would think that by the third child we would be used to how quickly a baby grows, but no. I think that chasing two older siblings around means that Hannah can sneak the growing in faster.

Unfortunately, she could not sneak into turning one. She spent the week before it sick, sick, sick. On Super Bowl Sunday I noticed she was shivering. I chalked it up to sitting on the cold tile in our bathroom and put a hoodie on her. As I put her to bed I thought she felt a little warm but absently thought it was probably from teething.

I stayed home on Monday with Xander because he inexplicably threw up repeatedly during the night. He was fine Monday but Hannah developed a full fledged fever and became super-clingy. I realized that night that she hadn't eaten much and was even refusing to nurse. During the night she was up repeatedly and had to be held to keep her calm. By the morning I was ready to call the doctor just to rule out anything dire.

Fortunately the doctor was able to rule out the flu (they swabbed for a test as soon as we arrived), strep throat, Fifth Disease and Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease. Hannah's lungs and heart sounded fine. Her nose, throat and ears all appeared healthy. The doctor said he thought it was a viral infection that would take some time to run it's course and to give ibuprofen or acetaminophen as needed.

It took Tuesday and Wednesday for the fever to wind down. Those were some rough nights, even with the medicine. Thursday and Friday had a few fever spikes but Hannah finally began sleeping and eating better. Just in time too because Saturday was her birthday party. I'll write about that in another post.

We had Hannah's well check the next Tuesday, the day after her birthday. She was finally over the virus and seemed in great health according to the doctor. Her charts are off though due to weight loss from the week before.

Weight: 19 lbs. 12 oz. (29th percentile)
Height: 30.5 inches (90th percentile)

I mentioned that Hannah is teething. I think all four molars and one of the front teeth are coming in excruciatingly slowly. When she laughs (or yells) I can see all of the molars poking through and it makes me cringe a little. Hopefully they will all be through soon.


No comments: