Thursday, May 19, 2011

Nose Tapping

When Xander was first learning manners he would say "Bah" instead of "Please." We didn't have a problem with this since we understood the intention. He did often need reminding though. He would come up and ask for something, "Cup!" I would look at him and wait. No response. So I would say "Xander, look at me," and tap my nose. When he'd look at me I'd ask "What do you say if you want something?" "Bah!"

This slowly evolved into a shorter form. I would just say "Xander, look at me," and tap my nose. "Bah!"

"Xander," followed by a nose tap. "Bah!"

Finally it just became a nose tap. Xander would walk up and say "Cup." Nose tap. "Please." (He did finally learn to say 'please' correctly.)

Now it's Josie's turn. Instead of saying 'please' she will say 'mease'. It's very adorable, especially because she taps her nose when she says it.

It turns out that it has become habit for me to tap my nose while waiting for the 'please'. So Josie thinks that she should just tap her nose if she wants something. The 'mease' is optional, she usually says it unless there is an entire sentence we are trying to have her repeat.

"Cup, mease." Nose tap.
"I want orange juice." Nose tap.

Like I said, it is freakin' adorable (but I'm willing to bet it's not correct sign language).

No comments: