Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Sick Little Boy

Poor Xander caught a pretty nasty cold. On Saturday Chris noted that Xander seemed tired all day. Around dinner time I took Xander's temperature and it was 100.1. As we fed him dinner, Aunt T noticed that Xander was shivering.

At 2 am I heard Xander talking to himself in his room. This continued off and on for almost an hour before I went in to check on him. He was shivering again despite three blankets. I took his temperature and it was 103. I tried not to freak out and gave him some medicine. I felt so bad for him and he kept cuddling up to me, so I figured I'd sleep on the floor with him. But when I went to get my pillow Xander yelled "Dad!" immediately waking Chris up who wondered what was going on. I explained and Chris actually suggested Xander just sleep in our bed.

Xander was feeling so achy and miserable that it took him quite a while to fall asleep. He kept tossing and turning, wanting one parent and then the other, the shivers stopped but there were little spasms every few minutes. Finally a little after 4, I carried him back to his room fast asleep.

Since then the temperature has disappeared but he is still easily tired. He's developed a bad cough and a runny nose. I did take him to the doctor who said it was a cold. Man, that was the scariest part, wondering if this was the flu or THE flu or even pneumonia. Xander's been sick before, but this has definitely been the worst. Hopefully he'll just keep getting better and won't pass it off to Josie.

No comments: