Monday, May 13, 2013

The Kids on the Bus Go...

A week ago, on Monday exactly, Xander headed out the door excited to go with his kindergarten class and the 4th graders to the zoo. I had asked him what animal was his favorite and drew his answer, an elephant, on his brown bag lunch. He talked about sitting with his 4th grade prayer partner and was careful to wear the required green shirt.

So imagine my surprise when I received a phone call two hours later from his teacher saying Xander threw up on the bus. She politely asked if he was ever car sick because he was sitting in the last seat of the bus. I replied no. A school aide was helping Xander get his clothes washed off (she tried calling while I was on the phone with the teacher) and we agreed to see how Xander was doing.

I hadn't even finished listening the message left by the aide when the teacher called back and said Xander definitely wanted to go home. I was already rounding up Josie and Hannah for the required bathroom trip/ diaper check and we headed to the van. I sent a text to Chris about what happened. I called the sitter to say the girls wouldn't be over. I called school to say I wouldn't be in to teach my class and let them know where the quizzes were for my students.

Fortunately, Chris received my text and called, offering to get Xander from the zoo (his office is closer to the zoo than I was) and I could meet him at his office for a sick child transfer. I agreed, sent him the phone number of the aide staying with Xander and called the aide back to let her know what was going on.

Yeah, Xander was getting sick again. So as I told her about Xander's dad coming to pick him up I heard her telling him to lean over and her repeatedly saying "Oh, God bless him." God bless her for taking care of him!

The pick up and transfer went smoothly though Xander was wearing a wet shirt and pants in 50 degree weather. On the way home he said the aide told him he would get a hot shower and watch television at home. So we did just that.

Xander did get sick one more time and he had a low fever through the afternoon and evening. He stayed home on Tuesday but was fine and was back in school Wednesday.

I'm not sure what caused him to get sick. Everything he ate, someone else ate too. The fever implies some 24 hour bug which, fortunately, no else came down with. Now I owe Xander a trip to the zoo.

No comments: