Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Second thirst different from the first

Ok, just to warn you, this is a post about breastfeeding. Not that I'll be graphic, but if you are squeamish then begone.

I don't think I really mentioned it, but Josie (like Xander) is a breastfed baby. And, as if I haven't emphasized it in other areas, she is very different from her brother. Xander would always latch on and have his fill. Now he is that way with food. Seriously, I'll set a plate in front of him and turn around and it will be gone. Unless it's vegetables.

Josie would always get distracted while nursing. She'd stop and look around and then realize she was still thirsty. It was a little frustrating for me because I would think she was done and get put back together and then she'd start rooting around. Even now with bottles she will drink half, put it down and a minute later start "Baa, baa"ing looking for her bottle.

One thing about me was that I was a lot less embarrassed about nursing in public. That's probably a good thing since Josie always wanted fed when we were out. Especially at church. Although I have to admit I was pretty embarrassed the time I had to nurse her at church with three of my students within a six foot radius. Other than that, I was ok with draping a blanket over my shoulder and taking care of her. Of course then she became good at dragging the blanket off so she could look around.

Now that she is a year old, I'm working on weening. She has some formula a few times a day and sits down to meals with us, where she'll down some food and play with other food. I mainly nurse her at naptime, maybe bedtime and when she wakes up at night. And any of those are more for me because I need her to sleep and not that she needs the breast milk. Oh, and we go camping next week so I figure nursing will be the easiest way to get her to sleep while we are in a tent. Is that selfish of me?

No comments: